A little trick to share | The Flamingo Chronicals: A little trick to share

A little trick to share

for the past few months I have been in the process of writing cook books for my two girls who have finally decided that maybe learning to cook wasn't such a bad thing after all  :0)  Daughter one ~ who likes to remind me she is my firstborn child~ never was one for the kitchen. Daughter two was not adverse to the kitchen, and in fact helped out a lot in there and knew her way around. It was just that she didn't feel any pressing need for learning any real skills. 
Enter reality.
Daughter one moved out on her own a couple of years ago, got serious with a young man and has recently become engaged. NOW she sees the value of knowing how to cook. I love those panic phone calls right about dinner time.
"MOM!"
"yes, my child?"
"I have had the potatoes in the oven for, like, 15 minutes! How long does it take them to bake?"
"Oh, young grasshopper,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

So, my recipe recipe book will include all of the dishes I cooked for my family while they grew up, and I am including lots of little tips as well. I thought I would share this one with you, because I think everyone would want to know how to cut the cook time on a baked potato or a roasted sweet potato in half. Less time in the oven, means less heat in the kitchen, and who isn't for that, right? 
So, before you throw your next potato in the oven, poke a METAL skewer threw the middle of it. This is not as easy as it sounds, I will admit. Potatoes are hard after all. But, having that piece of metal that will conduct heat to the center of the potato will cut your cook time by about 30 minutes. Who doesn't love that?
Just an old campfire trick I learned, but it works beautifully in the oven too. And is there anything better on a fall evening than a roasted sweet potato with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon? Perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment