Deconstructed Layout #15 Timeless Memories | The Flamingo Chronicals: Deconstructed Layout #15 Timeless Memories

Deconstructed Layout #15 Timeless Memories


Timeless memories

Hi everyone, I'm here today to share a new Deconstructed Layout with you. Today's tutorial is on paper pleating, which is a great way to add some dimension and texture to your layout using just a plain piece of paper! I have had this photo of my dad for some time, but wasn't sure how I wanted to scrap it.Since it is a black and white photo, I didn't want to overwhelm the photo so the colors of these Authentique papers were great.


To see all the tutorials in the Deconstructed Layout serious check them out here.

paper scoring
I wanted to use this paper, with these accent colors, but I didn't want the pattern on the paper to show. I decided to pleat the paper to distort the pattern.

paper pleating
I scored the paper every 1/2", then flipped it over and scored on the 1/4" intervals between the first score marks. So the paper ended up being scored every 1/4", with every other score mark alternating front and back.  Now the fun really begins!

pleated paper
Accordion fold the paper until it is pleated all the way across.
(This is time consuming and takes some practice, I admit. I recommend that you start with some fairly thin paper and make the score marks further apart, maybe every 1/2" instead of every 1/4" to practice. Once you get a feel for it, then work on the paper you want to use on your layout.)

making a photo mat
You will need something extra strong to hold the pleated paper down, so I used Tear-ific Tape from Sparkle N Sprinkle. Any very strong double sided tape will work. 

vintage photo
I adhered the pleated paper onto several other layers of paper, then matted my photo and adhere it on top using more double sided tape. 

chipboard cluster
I used a variety of embellishments for my cluster. To color the wood leaves from Prima, I first covered with a layer of Molding Paste, using my paint brush to give it some texture. Once it was dry I used Time Travel Teal from Lindy's Stamp Gang Industrial Chic Magicals Set to color them. 

I hope you give this technique a try! It takes a little practice, but it is a great tool to have in your bag once you get the hang of it.







16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous page Anita - love all your little touches. Thank you for sharing with us on ARTastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that pleated paper - what an awesome idea! That will be swirling about in the back of my head for a while! Great layout and what an adorable picture of your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful layout. I love your corrugated texture. Thanks for joining us at House of Cards challenge blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous page. Love the layering and your pleated paper looks wonderful. Thanks for joining in with us at Let's Get Shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of the textures and layering you have incorporated into your layout. These worked so well with your photo. The pleated paper is a great way to include colour without overwhelming the rest of the page... a very clever idea. Thank you for joining in at ARTastic. Cheers, Di

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow, you did such a great job! I love how you pleated the paper. And your embellishments are so well balanced! Hope to see you again soon at HOC.

    Toni
    HOC DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for joining in at ARTastic, love the browns and teals together , a very special photo scrapped beautifully. I also love the touch of colour on the pleated piece and the dimension it gives
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing work! LOVE the fabulous texture and I love the tutorial, too! Absolutely gorgeous--perfect for our challenge! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at House of Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is such a clever & effective idea, with the pleating of the pp! Looks fabulous behind the photo.....a really lovely take on our ARTastic challenge.....thanks so much for sharing:):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful does that pleated paper look? It changes totally! Stealing that thank you! Your layout is so effective with each element supporting and singing together with the other.
    Thank you for joining us at ARTastic this month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous layout Anita. Love you technique hints and the photo is lovely. Thanks for joining us at ARTastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fantastic and creative page, I love the vintage look and use of and old photo too. Thank you for playing with our challenge at ARTastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is fun to see something other than a card! Love your layout! Thanks for joining us at House of Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, the pleating is something different and unique that I haven't seen before! Thanks for joining in our challenge at ARTastic this month!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really do admire people who can make stunning scrapbook pages like this one. I wouldn't have a clue where to start! Fantastic piece! Thank you for joining in the House of Card Challenge this month.

    Hugs, Vannessa
    HOC DT

    ReplyDelete